Sunday, December 20, 2009

The sausage will taste so good

I love a nice hot sausage at Fenway on a summer evening.  But I know that if I had to see that sausage being made, I would probably get sick to my stomach.  The debate on health reform now taking place in the United States Senate is like watching sausage being made in the worst possible conditions.  It is frankly painful to watch.  An article in today's New York Times describes it as follows:

"Nasty charges of bribery. Senators cut off mid-speech. Accusations of politics put over patriotism. Talk of double-crosses."

But I must confess to feeling a sense of enormous excitement when I learned of the deal struck over the weekend to finally bring Nebraska Senator Ben Neslon into the fold.  They now have 60 votes.  The deal may actually hold together.  The most significant reform of our health system in a generation may actually happen.  Thirty million Americans may actually get health insurance. 

There are still plenty of ways it can fail, but for the first time in a while I can see a clear path to victory.  And I know that when that happens -- like the taste of that wonderful sausage at Fenway -- I will think not of how it was made, but how wonderful it tastes!

No comments:

Post a Comment